Sunday, April 10, 2016

Retirement

    If you were to tell me after I graduated that I'd be retiring at 29 I would have figured my lucky loto ticket hit the Powerball. I would start hooking up my family members with bank accounts to give them financial security, buy Kamm that new Camero he deserves and get a piece of land on the west side of Washington Island to build a perfect getaway.
    Unfortunately I didn't hit the Powerball. ALS came crashing into my life throwing haymakers that slowly stripped me of my independence. I started this school year with strong and capable arms, and now I can't feed myself, zip my fly, or navigate a smartphone. It's as if I have spatulas for hands.  Imagine trying to use a spatula to use your phone without lifting your arms.
    If you know me well you know I'm a stubborn son of a bitch, so as my arms became weaker and I lost small motor skills, I compensated in other ways. I taught myself to be a lefty, used dictation on my phone and ate food from a bowl like a dog. I had to compensate at work as well. Being a teacher and not being able to use your arms is tricky. I can't pass out papers, type on the keyboard, point out directions for my students, my can'ts outweigh my cans. Even with all the things I can't do I can still connect with my students and advocate for them. I can "stand" in their corner when no one else does.
    Making the decision to retire from teaching was by far the hardest call I've had to make. For the past 15 years working with kids with special needs has been my passion. I've met some of the coolest kids, made lifelong friendships, and made a significant difference in multiple school districts and kid's lives.
Most folks tear up when I tell them I won't be teaching full-time next year, but this blog exists to shed light on the Grace that surrounds us even in the worst of times.
      For starters, I can find grace in the fact that ALS can't keep me from tutoring kids, loving kids, and making kids laugh. I can find Grace in knowing that this break from teaching will allow me to advocate like hell for others living with ALS with backing from my Gronk's Grace Army. Finally, I can take the time to pour love into my relationships with the people I hold so close to my heart.

    This blog was brought to you courtesy of my amazing eye-gaze technology called a Tobii dynavox . I set up my music playlist, opened my blogging app, and typed every word without lifting a spatula.

Gronks

10 comments:

  1. You are so amazing Kris, keep up the fight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1.  I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses.

      Delete
  2. You have no idea what an impact you make Chris. Thank you for sharing not only your words, but also your classroom, your knowledge & your passion with new teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Kris...keep kicking ass,thanks for all you've done to bring attention to ALS...keep living and lovin and leaving a mark!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Kris...keep kicking ass,thanks for all you've done to bring attention to ALS...keep living and lovin and leaving a mark!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, I know this was a hard decision, but like you said, your teaching, advocating, and caring will go on with the other work you do! I'm so glad you are having success with your Tobii-Dynavox Eye Gaze! Assistive technology rocks and so do you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm tearing up reading your post. Thinking what WPES will be like with out Gronk next year. You've made an amazing impact on so many! Thank you for living out your story amongst all of us and for staying strong to make every day count...not giving into ALS when it would of been easier for you to stay at go e. Thank you for showing these kids (and us adults too!) what it looks like to fight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kris, As you name your losses, your will to continue making a difference in any way you can is witness to the Spirit within you. You ARE making a difference to all of us! I thank God for the gift of your witness.

    ReplyDelete
  8.  I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses.

    ReplyDelete