Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Twilight Zone

     I just left work and I'm screaming out of the parking lot in my car. Music is blaring and it's a beautiful day. I'm ready to go to the gym. Once I get to the gym I'll run a couple laps, lift some weights, and get some good stretching in before I head home. Once I'm at home I'll take a nice long shower, Michelle likes to sit in the bathroom and talk to me about our days when I take a shower so that will be nice. After that I will cook some garlic parmesan encrusted chicken with some spinach for a nice home-cooked meal. Then, we sit down to eat I'll do the dishes and maybe chase Wrigley around the backyard. Finally I'll crack an ice cold beer and cuddle up next to Michelle for some mindless television with the warmth of her hugs and the sweet smell of her hair pressed against my chest.
     Oh, wait… No I won't, I won't do any of these things, as much as I would love to, and as much as I dream about doing that every day, it doesn't happen with ALS. Rather, I will sit and wait at work until my ride can leave and can take me home because I can no longer drive. Once I get home, mind you I had to skip the gym altogether because that ain't an option with ALS, I will have to watch Michelle make dinner. Even though I would love to help her. When we are ready to eat she will have to feed me. I won't be able to help her with the dishes, and I won't be able to chase Wrigley around the backyard. I will be able to watch mindless television, but I will have to sit in my wheelchair next to the couch with an armrest in between. Michelle and I missing the embrace we once were able to have. I can't use the bathroom on my own. I can't go to bed when I want.  It all has to be with someone else's assistance! And when I'm stressed and want to blog about it I can't even use my hands anymore! There isn't any way to sugarcoat this, it just flat out fucking sucks. 
     But, I refuse to wallow in my sorrows, let ALS rip everything I love from my grip, I refuse to lose sight of the grace in my life. I still have great friends that get me to and from work. I can still take that relaxing shower, though it might be sitting down and someone else lathering me up with soap. I can still drink that ice cold beer (through a neon straw.) I can still enjoy that home-cooked meal with my wife. And though Michelle and I don't cuddle the same we have found ways around it. Let's be honest, I can't keep myself away from her. Grace is still all around me, I just have to remind myself to pause and look around and find it.

4 comments:

  1. First it hurts to read and know what a difference our realities are. NOTHING is to be taken granted of. You are teaching me grace, tenacity, love, patience, more grace, more love and more patients mixed with sassy humor. Thank you for sharing your reality with me. Hugs and much love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. First it hurts to read and know what a difference our realities are. NOTHING is to be taken granted of. You are teaching me grace, tenacity, love, patience, more grace, more love and more patients mixed with sassy humor. Thank you for sharing your reality with me. Hugs and much love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3.  I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete